Visa & Immigration Documents

You have access to the services of Lakehead University's regulated International Student Immigration Advisor, who is designated through ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council). The advisor is here to help you with all immigration matters during your studies at Lakehead through one-on-one appointments and workshops. 

To help get you started, below is information on documents you need to apply for during your stay in Canada. You may also find this EduCanada Pre-Departure Guide helpful.

Appointments with the Immigration Advisor

Student receives visa application advising

One-on-One Appointments

Our International Student Immigration Advisor is available to advise students at both the Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses. To book an appointment, contact our International Centre. Alternatively, send your inquiry to us via email.

Phone: 807-343-8068  

Visa & Immigration Workshops

Throughout the year, we offer workshops to help you with study permit extensions, co-op work permits, post-graduate work permits, and the Temporary Residence Visa (TRV). 

For notifications about upcoming workshops, keep an eye on the Lakehead International Student Life Facebook page.

Study Permits 

A sample of a Canadian Study permit

In order to study at Lakehead, you will require a Study Permit. To enter Canada, you may also require a Temporary Residence Visa.

You should apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your Offer of Admission from Lakehead University. The time required to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different visa offices. Check current processing times for your country.

You must have a valid study permit for the entire duration of your studies. If you receive a study permit that is not, you can extend your study permit within Canada.

Note: It is an offense under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act not to comply with the conditions that were imposed when your entry into Canada was authorized, or when your study permit was issued. 

Renewing Your Study Permit

If your Study Permit is approaching expiry, you will need to apply for renewal before your current permit expires. If your Study Permit expires and you have made an application to renew it, but have not been given a decision yet, you can continue studying until you receive a decision. You must leave Canada once your permit expires or if you have not followed the conditions of your permit. In some cases, you may apply for a restoration of status.

Also, you should verify the expiry date of your Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa if you intend to travel outside of Canada during your stay. If they will expire while you are travelling outside of Canada, you will need to apply to renew your Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa before you go travelling.

Note: Renewing your Study Permit will not renew your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Applying for a Study Permit

If you are applying for a Study Permit for the first time, visit the Government of Canada Online Study Permit Application.

Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) 

students eating in the Orillia cafeteria 

A Temporary Residence Visa (TRV), commonly known as a Visa, allows you to enter into Canada.

Note: Not all students require a TRV.

Find out if you require a TRV

A TRV can be single entry or multiple entries. All Visa applicants are automatically considered for a multiple entry Visa when you apply. Usually, multiple entry visas will be issued for the same duration as your Study Permit. 

If you do not require a Visa to enter Canada, you may be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization.

Find out if you require an Electronic Travel Authorization

Extending Your Stay

It is important that you know that extending your Study Permit will not extend your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV.) 

If your TRV expires while you are outside of Canada, you must re-apply for a new TRV. To apply for a new TRV while you are outside of Canada, please visit the closest embassy or consulate in your home country.

If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with a valid status (i.e. study or work permit), you can apply for a new visitor visa to stay in Canada.

Applying for a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)

If you are applying for a Temporary Residence Visa for the first time, visit the Government of Canada Online Application for a TRV.

Working in Canada & Work Permits

student doing summer research placement in a lab

Working in Canada

As a full-time international student, you are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic school year and up to 40 hours per week in the summer if you are not enrolled in classes. Not only can you earn money to put toward your studies, you will also gain valuable work experience that will enhance your resume.

Work Permits

Ensure you have the proper permits to work while you study. On your study permit, it will state:

  • If you can work solely for Lakehead University
  • If you can work with any organization within Canada
  • If you are not allowed to work while you are in Canada

You may work while you study if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university
  • You have a valid study permit
  • You have a valid Social Insurance Number (issued by the Canadian Government)

Note: You must stop working in Canada the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements.  

If you do not meet the above requirements, you must apply for a work permit

Note: Even if you meet all the above requirements, you still may not be eligible to work in Canada. You can find out your work eligibility at the bottom of your study permit. 

Extending your Work Permit

To extend your work permit, follow the same guidelines as the apply section above.