The purpose of this policy is to delineate the process of how flags and other objects are selected and hung from the ceiling space of Lakehead University’s (henceforth referred to as ‘the University’) Agora.
This policy applies to any person or group applying to have a flag or object hung from the ceiling space of the University’s Agora.
Facets of this policy may also be applied to the approval and displaying of flags or objects within other spaces on any Lakehead University property.
- Any person or group wishing to have a flag or other object hung from the ceiling space of the University’s Agora must submit their request by letter, or email to Lakehead University’s Vice-President (Administration & Finance) at firstname.lastname@example.org. The requests should include the following details about the flag/object:
- Its message and/or description of what it represents;
- Its purpose for being hung in the Agora;
- Its specifications — the number of objects to be hung, design, materials, means by which it can be hung from a cable, and dimensions (including total weight of object(s));
- Photo (whenever possible), or a design draft of item;
- Any request for specific location on Agora ceiling’s cables; and
- Contact information of applicant.
- Lakehead University’s Vice-President (Administration & Finance), in conjunction with Conference Services, will consider all applications with final approval resting with the Vice-President (Administration & Finance) and the President.
- Lakehead University’s President, as well as the Vice-President (Administration & Finance), reserve the right to refuse applications.
- Approved flags/objects must adhere to specifications outlined in the application form.
- Failure to adhere to this policy or application form guidelines, as they pertain to the hanging of flags and other objects from the Agora’s ceiling, will result in the flag or object not being approved to be hung, or being removed from the ceiling of the Agora at the applicant’s, or current owner’s, expense.
- Flags should measure 3 x 6 feet, or 0.90 x 1.80 metres, in an effort to conserve space and accommodate as many flags as possible, as well as to maintain an equity of size and recognition among all flags.
- A flag shall be hung from its official ‘sleeve’, or ‘first quarter’ side — the short side that would affix the flag to a rope, or pole.
- Flags are to be hung facing the main entrance (i.e. Agora Circle), or inward into the Agora space, depending on location of flag.
- The following five flags shall be hung in perpetuity on the first cable from the main entrance/Agora Circle: The flags of Lakehead University (centre flag), Canada (to the left of Lakehead’s flag, as viewed from the main entrance), Ontario (to the right of Lakehead flag), the City of Thunder Bay (to the left of Canada flag), the City of Orillia (to the right of Ontario flag).
- The following flags shall be hung in perpetuity on the second cable facing the main entrance/Agora Circle: The flags of the Fort William First Nation, and the Rama First Nation.
- Physical Plant staff will determine any safety/installation concerns and will oversee installation of all approved flags.
- All costs associated with the hanging of a flag shall be incurred by the person/group applying to have the flag/object hung, or as determined by whomever the Vice-President (Administration & Finance) determines on a case-by-case basis.
- Flags gifted to the University, with the intention of having them hung from the Agora ceiling, shall be considered by the same process as a person/group applying to have a flag hung.
- With exception to those listed in points #4 and #5, flags/objects will remain hung in the Agora for a period of up to 5 years.
- The financial responsibility of maintaining flags in excellent condition is that of the flag applicant/owner. Flags should be replaced at the applicant’s/owner’s expense every 5 years (or when the flag shows signs of degradation).
- The dimensions and weight of objects to be hung from the ceiling of the Agora must be determined and considered before approval to be hung is granted.
- The Vice-President (Administration & Finance) will determine the feasibility and cost of hanging objects. No object may be suspended from the ceiling if it cannot be installed or left suspended from the cables, safely.
- Physical Plant staff will determine any safety/installation concerns and will oversee installation of all approved objects.
- All costs associated with hanging an object shall be incurred by the person/group applying to have the object hung, or by whomever the Vice-President (Administration & Finance) determines on a case-by-case basis.
- Objects gifted to the University with the intention of hanging them from the Agora ceiling shall be considered by the same process as a person/group applying to have a object hung.
- Objects are to be maintained by their respective applicants who requested to have them hung.
Costs for Installation of Flags/Objects
- Costs to install a flag or object will be estimated by Physical Plant staff, unless otherwise specified by the Vice-President (Administration & Finance).
- Installation estimates will be provided to applicants for their consideration.
- All such fees must be paid at least 5 business days before installation.
The Vice-President (Administration & Finance) will oversee the review of this policy every five years, and share any necessary changes with the Executive Team ahead of seeking its approval.