January 25, 1999 [Revised September 29, 2000]
Resolved that Senate accept the criteria established by the Senate Budget Committee to define an unfilled position as an establishment position that is not assigned to any academic unit.
Process when a vacancy exists in an establishment position
1. The Chair/Director requests appointment by submitting a rationale to the appropriate Dean.
2. The Dean submits the request to the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost with his/her recommendation.
3. The Vice-President (Academic) and Provost evaluates the request and the Dean's recommendation based on the criteria and either:
a) approves, subject to budgetary approval, proceeding to fill the position. In this case, normally approval to fill the position will be considered and finalized during the budget approval process; or,
b) does not approve filling the position. In this case, the matter is referred to the Senate Budget Committee for its consideration.
4. Positions not filled shall remain part of the Establishment but not attached to a particular academic unit.
5. The Vice-President (Academic) and Provost will make periodic reports to the Senate Budget Committee on the recruitment process.
Criteria for Decision-Making
A. Quantitative Indicators
1. Enrolment History (Majors) and Projections2. Full Course Enrolments/Full-Time Equivalent Faculty (FCE/FTE Faculty) - Historical data on the number of full course equivalent (FCE enrolment) per full-time equivalent academic staff (FTE faculty).3. FFTEs/BIU History4. Faculty Appointments full and part-time5. Other indicators as may be deemed appropriate
B. Qualitative Indicators
1. Strategic Plan2. Undergraduate and graduate program reviews3. Accreditation Reports4. Research Activity (Funding/Faculty Members, Grants/Faculty Member, Publications)5. Service Activity6. Equity Issues7. Distinctiveness and special character of program/discipline8. Collaborative activities with other academic units9. Number of Graduates10. Other indicators as deemed appropriate