ACADEMIC ENGLISH PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR – ENGLISH LANGUAGE CENTRE
Location: Thunder Bay campus, Ontario, Canada
Lakehead University’s English Language Centre is currently looking for experienced, independent, flexible, creative and reliable English for Academic Purposes instructors for the fall semester in our Thunder Bay campus.
Here’s what we’re specifically looking for in applicants:
- All applicants must possess at least one the following certifications in order to be considered for an interview:
AQ Teaching English Language Learners Part 1
or have received training in a TESL Canada recognized program.
- Minimum a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education or closely related field.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Ability to work within a diverse environment of staff and active learners.
- The ability to adapt to changes with short notice.
- Excellent oral and writing skills.
- Problem solving capability.
- Demonstrates good critical thinking skills to understand student and staff issues.
- Highly reflective of own practice.
- Excellent listening and questioning skills.
- Attentive to deadlines and details.
- Flexibility in scheduling and availability.
- Computer and Internet literate. Experience with management learning platforms such as D2L is an asset.
- Projects appropriate professional image and behaviour.
- Speaks clearly, sensitively, and persuasively when interacting with students, other teachers and ELC administrative personnel.
- Organized and punctual.
- Must be currently eligible to work in Canada
Here’s what you will do if you are successful in your application:
- teach a full course load (Monday through Friday - 25 hours/week).
- plan, prepare, and teach well developed lessons which enthuse and inspire students, and promote enjoyment of learning. Please note that planning time is not paid.
- effectively and appropriately differentiate instruction so as to meet all students’ learning styles with an appreciation for students’ learning differences.
- select and sequence appropriate materials, resources, and approaches according to the course and audience of learners.
- ensure lessons are in line with planning and their respective objectives, and that segments of lessons are shared with students, as appropriate.
- maintain current lesson plans, assessment data (i.e., grades), and attendance records.
- assess, track, and provide relevant and timely feedback on achievement (performance and growth).
- provide students with clear formative comments and targets as to how to improve work by defined deadlines given, and provide regular estimated grades and feedback on
- administer and evaluate a range of formative and summative assessments as appropriate. You will be compensated for marking time.
- complete administrative tasks as defined and by set deadlines.
- conduct office hours on a weekly basis.
- supervise students’ attendance and behavior and follow up as appropriate, in accordance
with the Student Handbook.
- provide feedback on materials, courses, and lessons to the Academic Coordinator and/or the Associate Director as requested.
- attend departmental meetings when required.
- encourage students to participate in all extra-curricular activities.
- adhere to standards and procedures detailed in the Teacher Handbook.
- be aware of their responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of the students they are responsible for/come into contact with during their employment.
- your direct report for this position is the ELC Associate Director.
Your rate of pay will be: $40/hour.
Your employment with us will be: September 9, 2019 to December 13, 2019.
For this position you will need to apply on or before: September 1, 2019. Hurry!
Here’s how you will apply for this awesome opportunity:
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, contact information for 2 work-related references, evidence of teaching performance (if available) and any other relevant information in one pdf document to:
Dr. Ismel González
English Language Centre
More information on the English Language Centre and Lakehead University can be found on our webpage here.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make appropriate arrangements.