Lakehead University Centre for Health Care Ethics
Thunder Bay Campus
Part-time Contract, Renewable
Competition # GEN-18-05
The Centre for Health Care Ethics (CHCE) at Lakehead University has been in operation for over 20 years. Since 2007 we have been part of a Shared Bioethics Program (SBP) that provides ethics leadership, education, consultation, and support to member institutions. The success of this program demands expansion and we are currently seeking an additional bioethicist. This is a 0.716 FTE position with potential for conversion into a full time position. The selected applicant will be offered a 12-month, renewable contract, with 3-month probationary period.
The Bioethicist will:
a) Develop and conduct a relevant research program; and
b) Provide ethics leadership, education, consultation, and support for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM), Confederation College, Pioneer Ridge, and the CHCE.
Our ideal candidate will have:
• A Doctoral Degree in a field relevant to bioethics (required);
• A demonstrable track record of bioethics research and scholarship;
• Experience functioning as a bioethicist in a health care environment for at least 2 years;
• Skill in interacting with patients, families, public, staff, faculty and students in negotiating ethical clinical and organizational decision-making; and
• Interest in the relationship of health ethics and culture. Education and experience in interacting with indigenous populations particularly First Nations, rural and remote populations, and with the elderly would be an asset.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a single pdf document quoting competition #GEN-18-05, which will include a cover letter and resume along with a Confirmation of Eligibility to Work in Canada Form (https://www.lakeheadu.ca/faculty-and-staff/forms-db/human-resources/node/40003) and the contact information of three references to:
Centre for Health Care Ethics
Thunder Bay, ON
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.