Associate Security Guard
Security Services Department, Orillia Campus
This full time unionized position is part of USW Local 5294
Under the general supervision of the Coordinator, Security Services, an Associate Security Guard performs duties within a 24 hour a day - 7 day a week operation, to provide a safe, secure, and respectful environment for students, staff, faculty and visitors to 500 University Avenue and 1 Colborne Street East.
As a first responder to a variety of emergencies, the Associate Security Guard assists with deterring theft and vandalism, maintains order, and provides security for the University Community, buildings and property. They update memo books and related documents, prepare incident reports, and provide back up support as a Campus team member. They may also direct traffic, monitor parking, guide students and visitors, and perform other related duties
- Monitor alarm panels and take appropriate action;
- Answer telephone inquiries and follow up with required information or response;
- Dispatch and relay information to colleagues and Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire);
- Monitor video feeds from various cameras on a continual basis;
- Responsible for issuing and receiving returned keys;
- Provide assistance and direction to visitors, staff and students;
- Receive and account for monies paid for parking fines;
- Enter data in various computer programs on a daily basis;
- Maintain University lost and found service;
- Complete and submit timely reports and administrative forms as required;
- Must possess a Law and Security Administration or Police Foundations Diploma or post secondary education in a related field; an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered;
- Must possess a valid Ontario Private Security & Investigative Services License;
- 6 months related experience with demonstrated knowledge of investigative techniques
- Proficient computer skills including with reporting and searching programs to assist in duties, report preparation, and investigations (MS Word, MS Excel databases, Email, Internet);
- Familiar with or capable of learning the basic operation of various security video systems and retrieval of video data relating to incident;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion with emphasis on good human relations, courtesy, integrity and professionalism;
- Ability to handle all security matters in a trustworthy and confidential manner;
- Ability to perform regular patrolling duties (includes patrolling campus buildings and grounds on foot, by vehicle; includes climbing stairs);
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (class “G” minimum) and maintain a clean driving record ensuring insurable status for the operation of University vehicles;
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations and other health and safety related legislation and standards;
- A valid Standard First Aid/CPR certificate is an asset;
- Mental Health First Aid Training or related training is an asset.
Must be able to work to all shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
As a condition of employment, the candidate must be able to meet the physical demands of the essential duties of the job, as determined through the completion of a pre-employment screening, and must providea satisfactory criminal record check and a three-year driver’s abstract.
Please forward one document with a cover letter, resumes and three professional references to:
Office of Human Resources
500 University Ave., Orillia, ON
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Lakehead University is committed to an environment of open access to employment opportunities. Accommodations are available for all applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at (705) 330-4008, extension 2011. We appreciate your interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.