Are YOU wondering why you should participate in non-credit activities? Read this article in University Affairs
1. Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education
This Teaching Certificate is a free, non-credit, professional development program providing an introduction to pedagogy theory and practice to Lakehead University Graduate Students.
The program runs October 3, 2016 through May 1, 2017. The program is completed primarily online with one classroom component in the Winter term.
Learning Outcomes of the certificate program
By the end of this program, students will be able to:
1. Establish academic integrity guidelines and identify your role in this process.
2. Establish netiquette guidelines for a course at the undergraduate level.
3. Examine the components of an effective research speech and design your own research or professional speech.
4. Create and Evaluate the effectiveness of Learning Outcomes at the undergraduate level.
5. Design and appraise a mock undergraduate course.
6. Clearly communicate expectations and instructions for an undergraduate course.
7. Evaluate teaching skills and generate recommendations for teaching effectiveness and clear communication.
8. Develop a self-assessment of your role as a mentor/leader/instructor in teaching and learning.
Sessions will take place in LI5002 at the following times:
- Tuesday, September 27, 10:00 - 11:00am (registrations FULL)
- Wednesday, September 28, 2:00 - 3:00pm (registrations FULL)
- Friday, September 30, 12:30-1:30pm (registrations FULL)
- Monday, October 3, 9:00-10:00am NEW TIME
- Monday, October 3, 11:00am-12:00pm NEW TIME
Register here for one of these sessions
If you were unable to attend, the slides of this information session can be found here.
Deadline to Register in the Program
Register for the "Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Certificate" program by logging in to D2L, https://mycourselink.lakeheadu.ca. From there, select “Self-Register. Non-Academic Course ONLY" (top right), select the Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2016-17 and complete the registration form.
You must register online no later than October 7, 2016.
MySuccess registration will open in the Winter term if you want the program added to your Co-Curriculuar Record.
2. Online Professional Development Training for Graduate Students in Ontario
Visit MyGradSkills.ca for a variety of online modules designed for graduate students in Ontario. Certificates you receive by completing any of these modules will be recognized by Universities across Ontario.
How to register: Register with your Lakehead email.
The five (5) categories of modules include:
- Teaching and Learning
- Career Development