- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
What to Bring
Before packing for your adventure to University, take a good look around the house to ponder what things you'll need during your stay in Residence. Your Residence room will be your home away from home so you will want to surround yourself with things that make you feel comfy and cozy. Here are some suggestions:
- Bed Linens (the bed in your room is twin size)
- Blanket (your favourite one for warmth and comfort)
- Pillows (nothing substitutes your favourite from home)
- Bathrobe (covers more than a towel)
- Bathroom Caddy (for those treks to the shower)
- Flip Flops and/or Slippers (keep your feet lint-free while walking to/from the shower)
- Hair Dryer (weren't you ever told not to go outside with wet hair?)
- Towels (waiting to air dry can make you late for class)
- Laundry Bag/Basket (to avoid the pile-in-the-corner method)
- Laundry Money (all of our machines are card operated - add money to your card at machines located at the Bartley main entrance and Deer Lake Ridge laundry room or online)
- Laundry Soap/Fabric Softener (clean is good)
- Boots (warm, winter and waterproof is best)
- Formal Attire (there will be two Formal Dinner Events - one each in Fall Term and Winter Term)
- Hangers (helps cut down on ironing)
- Sewing Kit (a loose button is nobody's friend)
- Warm Winter Clothes (mitts, toques and long johns - it does get cold some days)
For Your Room
- Computer (all of our rooms have Wi-Fi)
- Headphones (your housemates may not like your type of music)
- Mug/Glass/Plate/Eating Utensils (for between meal snacks)
- Surge Protector/Power Bar (our rooms have limited outlets)
- Television or Gaming System (your room has cable access - ask for a cable box from the Residence Front Desk)
For Your School Work
- Binders (helps to keep your class notes organized)
- Calculator (who uses the pen and paper method anymore?)
- Paper (good for taking notes in class)
- Pens/Pencils (you can't bring your computer everywhere)
- Scissors (somebody is always needing scissors)
- Stapler (professors don't like paper clips)
- Camera (to take pictures of all those priceless moments)
- Games (there's always someone wanting to play Monopoly)
- Health Card and Health Insurance Information
- Pictures (while it's good to meet new friends, it's also good not to forget old ones)
- Sports Equipment (skates, skis, frisbee discs, ball glove, racquets, bike, etc.)
- University Documents (keep all receipts and forms handy)
For Apartment and Townhouse Students
- Pots and Pans
- Small Appliances
- Television (your bedroom has cable access - ask for a cable box from the Residence Front Desk) *Each apartment and townhouse living room comes with a television with cable tv.
Townhouse Residents Only
- Air Conditioner (small portable unit with wheels and vented with duct hoses through a window and plugs into a wall receptacle 110v.) All units will need to be inspected by our Maintenance Staff to make sure that the unit is vented properly and that the security of the building is not compromised. Units may be used between May 1st and October 31st. All temporary venting must be removed November to April.
Note to All Students: Ensure that all electrical cords and equipment are CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved. Frayed cords or defective appliances and equipment are not permitted in Residence.
What NOT to Bring
Air Conditioners (Residence Halls and Apartment Students)
These are rarely needed in Thunder Bay. Apartments are already air conditioned.
Candles are not allowed in residence. This is for your protection. Fires can and do happen, even while taking the most care.
Ceiling Fans/ Dish Washers
Residence does not allow such modification to any residence facility.
As all rooms are fully furnished, additional furniture is not permitted.
For safety reasons, space heaters are not allowed in any residence.
Due to the intense heat emitted, it is not worth the risk.
For the well being of all Residence students, hot tubs are not permitted to be used on Residence property.
Lakehead University Residence has a zero-tolerance on possession and use of illegal drugs in Residence.
Students in the Residence Halls have access to a microwave in their House common room. All townhouses and apartments already have microwave ovens.
If it can't be hung up with white sticky tack then leave it at home.
All Pets Except Fish
We do realize that it can be lonely, but you should be prepared to leave Rover at home, unless Rover is a fish. Snakes, amphibians and reptiles are not permitted. All fish must fit into an appropriate container that is thirty (30) litres in volume or less. Special consideration will be made for students requiring service or assistance animals.
Cable access is already provided for you.
Small cooking appliances are only permitted in Apartment and Townhouse kitchens.
These are already provided for each residence house.
Firearms and any other weapon(s) or item(s) that are created/intended to cause harm, or could be seen as intimidating, are strictly prohibited.