- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Helpdesk Ticket System
- Website Support
- Colleague - Web UI
- Forms Database
How to apply
Applicants complete a two step process for entry into any degree program in Visual Arts. A university application form must be completed and accepted through the office of Admissions. Students also submit a portfolio of original artwork directly to the Department of Visual Arts for review.
University Application Forms
- Students in Ontario high schools applying for entry to a degree program apply on the General Application Form - OUAC 101, which may be obtained from their school and which is directed to the Ontario Universities' Application Centre in Guelph, Ontario.
- Applicants not currently full-time Ontario high school students should contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment for the appropriate application form. Entry into programs may be gained as a mature student, one who is 21 years of age and has been 2 or more years out of post-secondary university studies.
Visual Arts Portfolio Requirement
In addition to the general admission requirements for Lakehead University, you must also satisfy non-academic requirements, which includes the submission of a portfolio of original artwork. A portfolio of your artwork must successfully pass a review. The requirements of the portfolio include examples of various types of original artwork such as: drawings, paintings, prints, digitally created images and sculpture. The portfolio is intended to provide an assessment of your suitability for the program based on the level and range of skills demonstrated. The following is a minimum list of works to be included in your portfolio:
- 2 completed drawings,
- 2 completed works in colour, and
- 1 of the following:
- a print or image created digitally using computer software,
- a ceramic work (photograph only),
- a sculptural work (photograph only), or
- 4 other completed works of your choice.
Please do not submit actual three-dimensional works, or actual two dimensional works larger than 18" x 24". Such work may be presented in a photograph. All works must be clearly labelled with your name. All work must be original and created by you. Work the committee finds demeaning to human dignity will be rejected.
Portfolios must be submitted directly to the Department of Visual Arts before March 31. Portfolios received after this date will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For more information about our Visual Arts program and the portfolio requirements, please contact the Department of Visual Arts at (807) 343-8787 or by email at email@example.com
How to Submit My Portfolio
1. Submit Your Portfolio Electronically Via Google Drive (Preferred)
1a. Uploading your portfolio
Using your Acknowledgement Letter, log on to your myEmail account.
Click on the "Apps" icon (the nine squares) found in the upper right hand corner of your screen (to the left of your email address).
- Click on "Drive".
- Click "Create" and select "Folder"
- Name it: Portfolio for <first name> <last name> <LU Student ID #> - i.e. "Portfolio for John Smith 0123456".
- Under "My Drive", click on your portfolio link - "Portfolio for John Smith 0123456".
- To upload your portfolio, you can:
- Drag and drop your file(s) where it says "Drop files here", or
- Click on the red icon with the white up arrow and select your files. You will need to browse to the file where your portfolio is located.
- Ensure all files have been uploaded to your portfolio file in Google Drive.
1b. How to share your portfolio with visual arts
After your upload all of your portfolio files, click on the white square icon with the down arrow (you may need to move your mouse over your file name under "My Drive" in order for the arrow to pop up)
- Choose "Share"
- Click on "Share..."
- In the "Invite People" text box, enter firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Ensure that "Can Edit" is selected (drop down box is located to the right of the "Invite People" text box)
- Check the "Notify people via email" box
- Click "Add message"
- Compose a standard email to Roland and Jennifer:
- For example, "Attached is the Visual Arts portfolio for John Smith. There are 4 files that you should have access to."
- Check the "Send a copy to myself" box
- Click "Share and Save"
if you require assistance with uploading your portfolio, please refer to the video tutorial.
2. Send Your Portfolio via Mail
Please mail your portfolio to:
Attn: Kristy Holmes and Jennifer Howie
Lakehead University - Department of Visual Arts
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON