Lakehead University evolved from the Lakehead Technical Institute (LTI), which was established in 1946. From LTI, Lakehead became the Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology in 1956. The Lakehead University Act was given Royal Assent by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario in 1965, and Lakehead University was established. The first degrees granted by Lakehead University were in Arts and Science in 1965.
University motto: Ad augusta per angusta - "Achievement through Effort"
University colours: Royal Blue and Gold
Varsity Team Names: The Thunderwolves
Varsity Team Mascot: The Thunderwolf
The Arms of the University were granted by the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk on June 20, 1959.